Mochi Bars


Mochi bars with kinako. Doss-Johnson
I had boxed up part of my kitchen, including all my cookbooks, for a few months to do a kitchen project. I needed to make mochi bars for a family event and didn't have access to this recipe. None of the butter mochi recipes I found online could equal this old recipe, so I thought I'd post it for others to compare. This recipe came to us from the Guigui family in Oahu back in the 70s.

2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup Mochiko sweet rice flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons kinako, roasted soybean powder
Sugar to mix with kinako, optional

1. Melt butter.
2. Combine sugar, mochiko and baking powder in bowl.
3. Add milk, vanilla and butter to bowl.
4. Pour into greased 8" square pan.
5. Bake 350* 25 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with kinako-sugar mixture after cooling.

Melt butter.

Mix dry ingredients.

Add milk, vanilla and butter.
Little chunks of butter will make the batter look lumpy.

Grease the pan with butter.
8x8 will give you thicker bars. 9x9 will give you thinner bars.

Bake till edges barely begin to brown and middle springs back.
The holes are from the melting butter.

I like a 50/50 ratio of kinako powder and sugar.
Mix and top the cooled mochi in pan,
then cut into squares.


Comments